EARLY METHODISM in the CAROLINAS
BY REV. A.M. CHREITZBERG, D.D.
PREPARED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA
PUBLISHING HOUSE OF THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH
BARBEE & SMITH, AGENTS
Black Swamp Circuit
The old Black Swamp Circuit and the Walterboro Circuit that adjoined it greatly deserve notice. This with the Barnwell Circuit noticed farther on, will complete the survey of the state as far as these annals can do so. Black Swamp is first noted in 1811, and was then in Ogeechee District. Lewis Meyers was presiding elder, and John S. Capers preacher in Charge. The membership reported in 1812 was 96 whites and 55 colored. In 1813 it was transferred to Edisto District, and numbered 213 whites and 112 colored; and that year Thomas Mason was the preacher in charge. Up to 1830 it was served by such men as J.C. Belin, Freeman, Hill, McDaniel, Callaway, Laney, Watts, and Crook. From that time to 1850 it was served by Bond English, King, T. Huggins, M.C. Turrentine, William Martin, H.A.C. Walker, R.J. Boyd, Bass, Durant, and McSwain. Its early boundaries are not now definable. In 1851 and 1852 the parsonage was at Brightons Cross Roads. The circuit swept on down to Robertsville and Purisburg, then on to Ebenezer and Kadesh, and up to Caves and Gillettes then turning to Swallow Savannah, then down toward the Bluff and on down to Union and Brighton. There were some twenty appointments. It was always regarded as a choice charge in the Conference. Here were the Manors, Martins, Lawtons, Bosticks, Solomons, and Davises, most of them men of wealth and deeply pious; with many who, if not so well off in this worlds goods, held to the true riches. The people were universally kind, and unexcelled in attention to their preachers. Union Church at that time was at the head of all. Manor Lawton, one of the chief stewards, used to say to the preachers: We keep no books; get all you can from the others, and Union will make up the deficiencies. And on this being reported, in less than half an hour a deficit often amounting to hundreds of dollars was made up. Swallow Savannah came next in liberality. The younger Bosticks and Martins were there, and their training at Union was not forgotten. One member now at Black Swamp Church, well known as Old Bill, still survives, and may he long do so. We would like to put on record all who helped to make this so pleasant a charge, but this cannot be done. The civil war spread desolation over this fine country, swept away its wealth by emancipation, and many a palatial mansion was given to the flames. Several charges have been made out of this grand old circuit, and since railroads have invaded its quiet, towns and villages have sprung up, and Methodism is still on the advance.
This material was contributed for use by the Colleton County SCGenWeb Project by Beverly K. Mott on March 27, 2004. The complete file may be found at http://patsabin.com/colleton/Methodism.html . It is used here with her permission.
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.